- It’s important to have clear goals. I like to use SMART to set my goals as it forces me to ask questions about my goals. Please see this blog for more information. SMART Goals blog link
- Having a budget in place enables you to plan for the future, control your finances and monitor you progress towards your goals. Download our free budgeting template here to get started! Free DPF Budget Template
- Understanding your financial personalities is not only important for couples’ finances but also when you have individual savings goals. This enables you to understand your strengths and weaknesses which therefore enables you to have effective plans.
- It’s important to have open communication lines if you are saving with someone else. It also important to be honest with yourself when you self-review.
- You need to be able to flex your plan in order to adapt to unforeseen situations. Its especially important to be able to compromise if you are saving as part of a couple.